• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
werekarg

Lethal Metal - a j2me gpl'ed jump'n'run

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i'm releasing this one as GPL as it is, well...too old: it was developed in 2003, 2 years before i got into the game industry (it was, somehow, my ticket for the game industry). it was also my very first java project, so, well, it's not quite very nice style-wise. i really hope this will help someone in their mobile endeavour, even if it's not rocket science inside. i've posted it here and not in the "your announcement" because of the specifics - mobile game/tool - and because i'm more interested in the technical/developent feedback rather than in the gameplay/game design feedback. afterall, i was the programmer of this thingie [wink] what it is a jump'n'run resembling Black Thorne. it only has one level, but most of the gameplay (combat and exploration) is there. also, the original graphics have been replaced with outlines. you may taste the original in a short movie. platforms Nokia 3510i and possibly other Series 30 devices. the game was tested on actual 3510i hardware and runs fine. features * player character with fluid animations (over 70 animation frames, including running, jumping, crouching, climbing ladders and edges, firing, hiding) * 3 types of enemies, with the possibility to easily remove or add, depending on the phone capabilities (jar size, heap) * AI for the enemies, based on state machines * powerup items (health boxes, ammo) * traps, elevators, elevator terminals, triggers * various props * eye-candy physics (not extremely realistic, but fun and easy to tweak) * map and sprite editors with complete c++ source technical * written in j2me [wink] * ant+antenna build system * integration with proguard obfuscator and ken silverman's kzip * map editor and the rest of the tools written with Borland C++Builder 6 * projects for Borland JBuilder 8 and Eclipse * manual for the tools and build system * has 2 projects, a reference one that has a lot of classes + packages and an optimized one, with fewer classes and fewer packages; the optimized one may be further refactored to reduce the number of classes, but the game requested features/data/levels get just fine in 64k so i didn't bother anymore links Lethal Metal at Sourceforge Lethal Metal homepage any form of feedback is appreciated. if no feedback, happy leeching [wink]

Advertisement
I have a 3510i and data cable for it sitting around at home, so it's good to know I can use it for something. [smile]
Is it playable on larger screen-res devices? Some games tend to go a bit wonky...

on larger than 3510i screen (96x65), the game will apear in the top-left corner. i still work on it and i have an internal version that resizes the engine to fill the whole screen. however, this causes some gameplay glitches on the combat side of things, the graphics also need resizing. on 128x128 (6230i for example), the charaters look ridicously small while the menu is still aligned to the 96x65 size :)

one has to do different versions for each phone/resolution, that's the bottom line...

on some 3510i firmwares it may not run (they have 210kb of heap instead of the others 220kb), this happened with an older version, but since then i've reduced the tileset and the sprites and i havent had the opportunity to get that phone again.

I didn't have time to dig out my 3510i last night, so ran it on my 6230. Very slick - I love the art style and the fluid animation. [smile]

Quote:
Original post by shmoove
On the downside, it takes a really long time to load.
Ever played the mobile phone version of "Splinter Cell"? [rolleyes]

thanks for the possitive art comments - i'll send them to the artist [smile]

on the loading part: shmoove is probablly referring to the fact that there is no visual feedback on loading - a progress bar on a progress screen (at "new game"/"continue") and a progress bar on main menu loading. this is quite a big flaw, in terms of mobile games rules/standards.

Quote:
Original post by benryves
Quote:
Original post by shmoove
On the downside, it takes a really long time to load.
Ever played the mobile phone version of "Splinter Cell"? [rolleyes]

Yeah, but they keep you entertained with something like 70 different splash screens. Good game though, pity it's too short.

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!