• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Shannon Barber

Bug Tracking Tools

This topic is 4821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm putting together our development process, and I am curious to hear about anyones experience with bug-tracking tools. Currently we use Word, which is better than nothing, but I think a dedicated tool would serve us better. Bugzilla & FogBugz are about the only two I know about, and I've only lightly used Bugzilla. I particularily liked the end-user integration FogBugz has (e.g. two-clicks to submit a screenshot of a bug). ...but we have a diverse set of needs, not every project is for Windows; many are embedded.

Advertisement
Hi,
I use this: http://www.mantisbt.org/.
It's a web application, perfect for your purpouse...
I use the version 0.18, now online you can download the version 1.0.0rc1... I don't know the new features but the 0.18 have more features than I need.

I've used a bunch of them over the past decade. None of them have been very spectacular. Almost all of them have just kept a list of bugs, lets you sort them in various ways, and some let you attach screen shots or attachments.

I have been a little more impressed with "Change Management" tools, but they feel more like a management tool that developers have to use, and not like a tool to help developers. The tool in Microsoft TFS looks very developer friendly, and like it could work well with test-driven development.

BugTracker.net (not the URL) is what I use at work. It's just a simple database front end.
phpBugTracker Same as above, uses PHP instead of ASP.net.
Long list of bug trackers. I've used A few of these tools, but none of them really stands out as an exceptional bug-tracking tool.

They keep a detailed list of the status and history, nothing spectacular. Some like FogBugz let you have screenshots or other attachments.

I've used "Change Management" tools like PVCS and a custom tool while working in a corporate environment. They start everything as an issue (bug, complaint, new feature) and follow it through reviews, writing code and associating version control changes with the issue, through testing, and returning back to the customer. These could possibly be good in gamedev if you are a very iterative or test-driven group, since every failing test can have an issue added.

The Microsoft Team Foundation Server looks like it has a Change Management system, for those who are going to be using it. From the testing I've done with it, it feels pretty good from a developer's view, and isn't as clunky as PVCS was.

frob.

Word? If you are not ready to move to a real bug tracking system, use Excel.

I've used Mantis. It is oriented toward open source development, it is not very configurable (as far as I could tell), and it lacks features, so it wasn't a good fit for our project.

I have taken a quick look at Bugzilla and it appears to be better than Mantis, but I have never actually tried it on a real project.

I've used Bugzilla [as QA] and RT [Request Tracker, as dev and IT].

RT in my experience was a little nicer to deal with on a day in, day out basis. Bugzilla was good at handling and searching through rather massive bug-lists. It's my understanding that RT is decidedly easier to setup than bugzilla.

Both are pretty decent though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!