• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NIm

circular class dependancies

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing a tile based game in c++, intended to be along the lines of nethack and angband. I've gotten to the point where I am implementing monsters, an I've run into a problem. I need the player to interact with the map, so I have a pointer to map in my monster class, however, I also need a particular map square to point to the monster that is sitting on it, as well as giving the map a list of monsters to update each turn. I realize that I could make map a global variable, but I hear that that' a bad idea, and it may interfere later when I try to have multiple maps. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Assuming you are talking about C++ you can use forward class declarations:

class CMonster;

class CTile
{
protected:

CMonster* m_pMonster;
};

class CMonster
{
protected:

CTile* m_pTile;
};

Greetz,

Illco

Thank you so much! I was thinking about something like that, but didn't know how to implement:)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!