[java] Your opinion on my GUI.

Started by
14 comments, last by Antony52 18 years, 7 months ago
I am using IntelliJ's gui designer to build myself a gui for my project a 3d model viewer. However, the gui designer does not support menu bars. So I have the following ideas for my gui and I would like your opinion as the potential user of my app: 1) Build a horizontal bar with desktop metaphors replacing the menu bar like the bar in Internet explorer. one will open properties another a file etc. 2) Use a tab panes for the same thing as above. So what do you think?
Advertisement
Hmm.. I don't care. I'm very fond of keyboard shortcuts! :D

BTW, the first option seems better to me. That's just my opinion, anyway. You mean a toolbar with icons that open dialogs, right?

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
The first idea sounds pretty good. Many current users of 3d model programs are used to the horizontal bar layout. So if you ever plan on releasing it for public use, it won't be hard for people to adapt to your program.
Thanks for the help I will release it so your opinion counts. Son of Cain keyboards shortcuts will certainly be implemented thanks for the heads up.
Thought: what sort of commands can be issued to the 3D Model Viewer.

If they aren't very complicated think about a command-line built in and a mini-language. Makes the whole thing pretty easy. And if you get ambitious you can find a scripting agent that could do some pretty freeky things (Lisp my favorite, SEE JATHA). You wouldn't have to worry a whole lot about buttons in this case at all.

This is, of course, way over the top, hence the first question is intended to analyze the scope, and see if the suggestion is feasible.

L-
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net
Just a thought, but MenuBars in a JFrame are about as simple as it gets. You can get a menubar up and running in literally seconds in Java.
To Lucidquiet: Very interesting suggestion but that would have to be implemented later. I am pressed on time.
To Kevinator: Indeed it is very easy almost non trivial I know. But IntelliJ's gui designer is built that way that it is impossible to add them manually. What I mean is that you create a .form file that holds all the components but it is not possible to add menubars. Unless of course I want to build everything by code which is not my intention. Speed is of the essence thus I chose the gui designer. Anyway in GUI design you have to flexible.
Thanks for your replies.
Then perhaps netbeans might help you out. Version 4.1 is wonderful!
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Ok let me ask you a different question: Would you choose between the speed the IntelliJ's GUI designer but with some features missing or use hard coding to build the interface.
I am asking this because I am facing the following problem: Gui designer of IntelliJ is great. Their paradigm for gui creation is unique but it lacks some features like menus and icon insrtion in buttons etc. However it is blazing fast to build an interface. Although speed is of the essece so I will probably go with the designer I would like your opinion on it.
Quote:Original post by Antony52
To Lucidquiet: Very interesting suggestion but that would have to be implemented later. I am pressed on time.
To Kevinator: Indeed it is very easy almost non trivial I know. But IntelliJ's gui designer is built that way that it is impossible to add them manually. What I mean is that you create a .form file that holds all the components but it is not possible to add menubars. Unless of course I want to build everything by code which is not my intention. Speed is of the essence thus I chose the gui designer. Anyway in GUI design you have to flexible.
Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure it will take any more time than making a bunch of button's to be honest. You might have to write a KeyListenner or something, but you'd have to write code for button listenning anyhow. You could also then place the "command line" or "console" in a Frame of its own to be used on a multiple monitor system -- for that matter you could just use the command prompt and issue the commands from that to the gui.

If the commands are going to be very complicated then the idea is going to take more work than mere buttons, but if they are one-timers, kind of like buttons then I think it might actually be less work.

The Lisp idea is a lot of work, but using something like CLI (Command Line Interface) would probably be a lot less work. I've used CLI, and it works really good.

Think about it.

L-

Just to let you know -- I've never used IntelliJ, always just created the GUI's by hand, but I have extensive experience with AutoCadd, and Microstation, and I wholeheartedly view the command line a to be a million times more effective then buttons for viewing models. (AutoCadd=command line, and Microstation=buttons) I hate Microstation with a fierce passion, that makes me want to hurl everytime I have to use the damn thing. (Probably more information then you cared to know).

Either way, how awesome would Illustrator, or Photoshop be if you could actually script the thing in a "programmatic way"? About a whole order of magnitude more power. Too bad the mindset is that artist are completely right brain thinkers, when every "good" artist I know is a mix of both left and right brain -- take a look at Captn_Midnight's art work at DeviantArt.com -- He's not bad.

Anyway, that just's a rant.
"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't." -Pete Seegerwww.lucid-edge.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement