• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bah

How to write algebraic expressions with MS Word

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Does anyone know a quick and easy way of writing algebraic expressions that I can then paste in a MS Word document?

Advertisement
There is an equation editor somewhere (see insert object). You can download external equation editors. You can render a PS or PDF using Latex and insert it. But to be honest, in practice you should simply not be using Word (or any office program) to show equations.

Greetz,

Illco

I'm not sure of the complexity of your expressions, but I was always taught to use Microsoft's Equation Editor. Click Insert->Object->Microsoft Equation X.X. You should be able to convert those equations into images for use in other documents as well. If you do not see Microsoft Equation in the Word's object list, you probably never installed it. In that case, whip out your Word install CD and add that component.

If your expressions are simple enough though, you may be able to just get away with writing them in a formal-looking font such as Courier.

Illco,
What programs would you recommend for writing equations outside Word?

As I said: Latex is the bomb for this. Nearly all scientific articles including formulas are written using it. It has a steep learning curve but once you get the idea and some basic constructs you are on a very nice way.

Basically it is like programming your document -- using all kinds of constructs. For example an equation would be written like so:

C[i,j] = \sqrt{|f^2(x_i,y_j)|+|g^2(x_i,y_j)|}

It also does automatic cross referencing, indexing, layout, etc, etc. As long as you don't want too much control and are happy with the defaults it is bliss. As soon as you want something slightly different you're in trouble. More or less anyway.

Greetz,

Illco

I like skittleo's idea. I googled the string "equation editor MS Word" and found a page with info and how to install the equation editor. Too bad I've misplaced my Office CD. :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!