• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_Danneman_

Online-schools in gameprogramming

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I forgot the url to a particular school/academy teaching gameprogramming online, and I was hoping you guys could supply me with some so as to refresh my memory?

Advertisement
Actually, they aren't that bad at all. I've taken a few. Overall, they cover a lot of great topics that are core to game development.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that doing online education is very self-directed. It's entirely up to you what you get out of the experience.

One plus to these courses is that you can schedule chat sessions with other classmates and with the instructor to ask questions and get help.

Do you think they are worth the money. Their basic C++ course is about 90 dollars; Compare that to a good C++ book that it not a big difference.

I have 4 of their courses (Game Institute).

C++ Module I.
C++ Module II.
Game Mathematics.
3d Game Programming with DirectX.

I think they are all good.

The bad thing is they are self study. I have failed to focus myself so far. I would rather start up my favorite computer games and internet websites. Not a very productive habit.

I say if you have the time and self discipline, sign up at the GI. The forum is invaluable to get answers, the textbook and lectures are nice, and the community is a good learning environment.

Guest Anonymous Poster
okay, I am normally signed in as Meow_Mix, but for now I am too lazy to log in lol. Anywho, I learned how to program from books, there are several good ones. But I learned C++ basics and algorithm from free online tutorials. People have made some good ones, thats how I learned. Though, if you are trying to master it, get "C++: Object Oriantation", or get a book on 3D game engine design, that will help you to master algorithm and such.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!