Do you kno of any free designing programs?

Started by
8 comments, last by samuraicrow 18 years, 7 months ago
Please give me urls to things to download for free. I saw a few, most with the drag and drop type of approach. But i'm still trying to find one that is almost as good as a program that you buy from the store. Please send in to my email if possible. If not send me a message on game dev.
Advertisement
You can also post some good software or even email me some types of devices or software.
Is this what you're wanting?

The program is free for the most part (there are some advanced features which require a $15 "donation" to get), and quite good in my opinion.

Definately worth checking out if you don't want to get into hardcore programming.
Game design programs? I don't know how everyone else feels but I think the best way would be with a paper and a pen. Just take a little pocket size notebook aroudn with you and when you get some ideas, scribble things down so you dont forget them.

Once you get back to your computer, just add them in to your design doc and/or some other thing your using to keep track of things like all the features you want to add to your game and how your going to do them etc.

EDIT: Ok, I guess I missunderstood that post. :)
______________________TradeMark Designs
Unfortnately I don't have a scanner to bring into my ideas. Well i think i do. But i think i lost the program. I have a bounty of ideas. Also you can post some nice paintshop programs?
As far as free painting programs go, The Gimp is the most capable. Google will find it.

When you say "designing program," what are you designing? 3D models? Houses? Spell systems? Electrical circuits?
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Blender is a free and open source 3d graphics program. Its pretty cool, I use it occasionally. Gimp is good for 2d stuff, and its also free and open source.
Still 2^10 :P
See this thread for more information about 2d and 3d graphics editing utilities and see this thread for music related utilities. Not all listed are free but there are some that are.
Hello,

My guess is you are a young aspiring game designer. I think a majority of us were there at one point, I was about 12 years ago myself. First off im going to assume you are looking for a drag-and-drop game development enviornment. Please google for "Verge" and "Sphere". The downside of using these is you will not be able to sell your programs (unless you purchase their license I belive). There is also a Multimedia Fusion (previously click-and-play) which can be used for most games that are arcade, action, or puzzle oriented. This is not free but fairly priced enough you may be able to talk your parents into purchasing it. there is also a 3d game studio, though I never looked at it, this is not free though.

Now for my recommendation. Learn an actual computer language. Not only will this be cheaper (you can get everything for free if you wanted), but you can sell/distribute your games royalty free, and have them actualy run at an acceptable speed and the precise way you designed it, without having to adhere to a template. There is no create-a-game solution to-date that can provide that sort of functionality.

As for languages , you can go about 4 different (acceptable routes). C++ (I prefer Code::Blocks for your IDE if you cannot afford to shell out the cash for the latest MS compiler.) is the most popular for those with a sharp mind. It is quick, low level, and supports OO very well. By quick, I mean there are many very optimal compilers out there, and its precediural orgins make it an easily optimal language, unlike functional languages such as Haskel which are in (MOST TESTS, the exception being mathamaticaly heavy and database applications) less adaquate. In addition, you will want to look at Java (look into eclipse for your IDE), and its microsoft funded relative C#. Stay away from J# and J++, I have never seen those skills fundimental to anything, and no business I know uses them. You are also going to want to look into Pascal, its interpreted, but a quick learning language that has reasonable speed and alot of built in functionality that in-itself is optimized heavily.

Alright, enough of my spiel. If I missed a language or application, sorry, it happends. I am a native C/C++ so im partial to it, but its whatever gets the job done, speed isnt as important as it once was, and language doesent falter that much anymore. On the other hand, please understand that the applications that are drag and drop are without a doubt both limiting and slower then you can do otherwise (if not slower, then the game must strickly adhere to a particular template, as diviations would require interpreted scripting language)
While Googling for the RPG makers PaulCaesar mentioned I found this website. It includes not only a list of game makers but also other utilities and programming languages for making games.

If you want to learn game programming I'd recommend you NOT start with C++. It's tricky as a first language. Start with Python. It's free and you can download the PyGame extension for free and it's all freely redistributable. Unlike C++, Python has reasonably good thread support and is thread-safe. You can still make stand-alone projects in Python even if it is considered a scripting language. You can learn C++ when you find you need to speed up parts of your Python code since Python is easily extendable. Here are some programming textbooks to get you started.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement