Ticks per second

Started by
9 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 7 months ago
How many ticks are they in a second? I am trying to see the tick rate of halo.
Advertisement
'Tick rate of Halo'

I don't follow... You mean frame rate?

Ticks can mean more than one other thing - one of which being to do with scheduling done by the OS.
[TheUnbeliever]
In Hscript it has commands like (camera_set <camera_point_name> <short>)
then says the short is the ammount of ticks the camera travels along so how would i change the ticks into seconds so my camera could fly for 3 seconds? so how many ticks inside a second.
Quote:Original post by GameMasterXL
In Hscript it has commands like (camera_set <camera_point_name> <short>)
then says the short is the ammount of ticks the camera travels along so how would i change the ticks into seconds so my camera could fly for 3 seconds? so how many ticks inside a second.

I think in this case they are using ticks as a measure of distance. So really you can't change a tick into a second. If you could find the time it takes in seconds for the camera to travel 1 tick it would be easy to make it fly for 3 seconds.

Say it takes 6 seconds for the camera to fly 1 tick then you would only need to travel for a half of a tick to move for 3 seconds.

Say it takes 1 second for the camera to fly 5 ticks for it to fly for 3 seconds it would need to fly for 15 ticks.

Hope I didn't confuse you anymore [smile]
Gor435 - My Journal - MySpace - Facebook
They also use it for sleep (sleep <short>) and that is sleep for number of ticks i don't know how i would messure the seconds it runs for.
My guess would be microseconds (1000 per sec) or frames (30-85, or more, per sec)..
Ticks of a clock. Depends on how fast your clock is running at. You may have a milisecond clock where each tick is 1/100,000 of a second, or it may be related to your processor speed (say 2.8GHz or 2.8 million ticks per second).

I don't know what HScript clocks are running at. Try waiting for a big number of ticks and timing it with a stopwatch. It won't give you the exact answer but it will give you a ballpark figure.

Ok thanku all. Someone keeps saying a there is 30 ticks in a second in halo but i don't know.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Ticks of a clock. Depends on how fast your clock is running at. You may have a milisecond clock where each tick is 1/100,000 of a second, or it may be related to your processor speed (say 2.8GHz or 2.8 million ticks per second).

I don't know what HScript clocks are running at. Try waiting for a big number of ticks and timing it with a stopwatch. It won't give you the exact answer but it will give you a ballpark figure.

I believe that a milisecond is 1/1,000 of a second, or 0.001 seconds
"Ticks" means anything you want it to mean.

For instance Windows defines a tick to be 1 millisecond (1/1000 of a second, see GetTickCount).

I have no idea what Halo defines a tick as.
-Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement