• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GameMasterXL

Ticks per second

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
'Tick rate of Halo'

I don't follow... You mean frame rate?

Ticks can mean more than one other thing - one of which being to do with scheduling done by the OS.

In Hscript it has commands like (camera_set <camera_point_name> <short>)
then says the short is the ammount of ticks the camera travels along so how would i change the ticks into seconds so my camera could fly for 3 seconds? so how many ticks inside a second.

Quote:
Original post by GameMasterXL
In Hscript it has commands like (camera_set <camera_point_name> <short>)
then says the short is the ammount of ticks the camera travels along so how would i change the ticks into seconds so my camera could fly for 3 seconds? so how many ticks inside a second.

I think in this case they are using ticks as a measure of distance. So really you can't change a tick into a second. If you could find the time it takes in seconds for the camera to travel 1 tick it would be easy to make it fly for 3 seconds.

Say it takes 6 seconds for the camera to fly 1 tick then you would only need to travel for a half of a tick to move for 3 seconds.

Say it takes 1 second for the camera to fly 5 ticks for it to fly for 3 seconds it would need to fly for 15 ticks.

Hope I didn't confuse you anymore [smile]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ticks of a clock. Depends on how fast your clock is running at. You may have a milisecond clock where each tick is 1/100,000 of a second, or it may be related to your processor speed (say 2.8GHz or 2.8 million ticks per second).

I don't know what HScript clocks are running at. Try waiting for a big number of ticks and timing it with a stopwatch. It won't give you the exact answer but it will give you a ballpark figure.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Ticks of a clock. Depends on how fast your clock is running at. You may have a milisecond clock where each tick is 1/100,000 of a second, or it may be related to your processor speed (say 2.8GHz or 2.8 million ticks per second).

I don't know what HScript clocks are running at. Try waiting for a big number of ticks and timing it with a stopwatch. It won't give you the exact answer but it will give you a ballpark figure.

I believe that a milisecond is 1/1,000 of a second, or 0.001 seconds

"Ticks" means anything you want it to mean.

For instance Windows defines a tick to be 1 millisecond (1/1000 of a second, see GetTickCount).

I have no idea what Halo defines a tick as.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!