[web] How would YOU handle this?

Started by
1 comment, last by Fournicolas 18 years, 8 months ago
Now that the design of my not-so-little web-based text-based RolePlaying Game is complete, I have to worry about the finer detail, such as ergonomy and looks. Now here come the questions, to you, full fledged webdevs, before I submit my requirements to my coding buddies... It is likely my site will be hosted freely for a while, but it is also probable that, given enough succes, it will have to move to a more powerful server, most likely a paying one. So how would YOU handle the whole publicity-on-the-site thing? I was planning to have a "dynamic" (pardon me if I use the term in a wrong sense) site, with a window that would reshape itself to always suit the size of the screen, in order to show in almost the same shape to everyone... And teh fact that the screen would show the exact same thing to everyone got me to think that the add banners would be always in sight, contrary to most of the other sites where you have to scroll down, in order to see them? Is that a good thing, reducing the size of your game screen to allow some room for adds? As a second question, and as I already have asked the question to someone, but didn't get an explicit answer, I was wondering if people playing a web-based game liked or not scrolling the screen? It just pisses me off to have to lose sight of some vital info (like my bank-account or my stats) when I'm trying to buy something and don't know anymore if I can afford it money-wise or stats-wise. Therefore, I thought that using pseudo-frames, or i-frames, in order to get the most vital infos clearly in sight while scrolling the lists, would be a good move. Would YOU think it is a good one, or would YOU advise otherwise? Now, thank you for taking the time to read and help.
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
Advertisement
Personally, I'd aim for a minimum resolution (we go for 1024x768 these days) and fit the site inside a fixed-size area (or, at least, fixed-width) that is then centred. My image gallery is an example of this sort of thing, which could work well for a web-based game.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

ok. A fixed size.

Now do you think reserving some fixed part of the screen for the adverts is a good thing?
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement