• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
alanchinese

3d navigation

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

let see, i use Maya to model my own house. i want to do something to export the data to some sort of applications that i can burn a CD and send to my friends in China, so that they can see my house visually. what should i do?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by alanchinese
let see, i use Maya to model my own house.
i want to do something to export the data to some sort of applications that i can burn a CD and send to my friends in China, so that they can see my house visually.
what should i do?

Maya should be able to render movies, so that's probably your best bet.

is it an interactive program?
how about collision detection? maya can handle that too?
i just looked at the introduction of maya and didn't know it's this powerful.

Quote:
Original post by alanchinese
is it an interactive program?
how about collision detection? maya can handle that too?
i just looked at the introduction of maya and didn't know it's this powerful.

I'm not really that well-know with Maya, but I doubt if it supports it. What I was suggesting is that you make it render a 'movie', you tell the camera to move along a pre-defined path to showcase the house.

If you want an interactive walk-through type thing, then I'm sure you could do that using Blender's real-time engine (GameBlender) without having to do much in the way of programming. Finding tutorials on how to do that may prove difficult, though.

i have modeled my house (not too fancy, but "watchable") in Maya.
i don't concern about the programming part, coz i am willing to learn.
but i have no idea on how to use the model for an interactive application, question marks in my mind:
1) the "area"s of the first person character can move (probably 2D)
2) the stairs (go up and down)
3) the "traps" that you will fall (i.e. fall from second floor to the ground if there is no baluster
i assume the user can use left/right/up/down arrows for directions, along with displaying textures, lights, etc.
do i need a long process for learning to accomplish the above i mentioned?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!