• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

Help with a DirectDraw map editor "Willing to pay for help"

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making a isometic map editor. This is what I have 1) DirectDraw in windowed mode. 2) Got the tile slector bar to choose from what tiles I want to place on the map 3) Displaying a default iso tile map of grass 4) able to slect a tile to be placed This is were I am stuck 1) How to blt the map to only part of the screen 2) How to find the tile my cursor is over on the iso map so I can place my tile What I know 1) for placeing the map on only part of the screen I need to figure out how to use the clipper properly 2) The tiles know were there at so I should be able to call some type of varible to let me know the coords of the tiles and test them with the coords of my mouse 3) Or make some kind of grid that tells me if my mouse is in a rect that contains a tile Can any one help with my issues? Thanks [Edited by - kingpinzs on August 25, 2005 4:28:33 PM]

Advertisement
Id its 2D looking down on the map tehn teting which grid piece the mouse is over is a very easy thing to do. Get the mouse coords and then ScreenToClient() them to get them re;ative to (0,0) in your window.

ace

I think you need to learn more general programming before worrying about your DX problems... the questions you ask are more about math and design in general. Can you make a simple game by yourself, before we get into fancy graphics and editors? I find it unlikely that you are going to get a lot of help here, no offense...

well I have made a tic tac toe console game a tetris game and I just want to make a simple 2d game. because to me that would be the next logical step. But if you think that I need to do something in the middle. What game do you think I should od next after a tetris game? I want some thing with real levels and have a level editor. I am think I might do a normal square 2d game that does not scroll then do one that does scroll then try again at isometric game.

What do you think?

So your saying the math equation need to find if the mouse is over the tile the moves up,down and left and right so the tile's are never in the same coords on the screen. So then how do you determin what coords the tile is at at the time you click the mouse. I dont belive there is any program that does this kind of equation that deos not use the mouse.

Guest Anonymous Poster
kingpinzs, i think a nice 2d scroller would be the next logical step. see how daunting it is to just make an isometric map editor? its not you, its the program. you are not supposed to be doing this with this much experienc, at least i wouldn't...

a 2d scroller is a lot more straightforward, and your game will be much easier to write. try it!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!