• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Darkan_Fireblade

Publisher Costs

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How much does it cost for a publisher to publish an already completed game?After covering the publishing costs, how much of the sales do they take and how much would the developer actually see? Thanks! Darkan

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
From what I have heard you may see 10-15%.

I think the 10% number is when the publisher fronts development costs (even when that up-front investment is recoupable from royalties). If the publisher has significantly less risk, (and significantly less money they're losing interest on), you might be able to get a slightly better cut -- at least you'll be negotiating from a stronger position.

However, the key word in that phrase is "slightly".

Again you really need to provide a lot more specific information to get useful answers. What quality level of product are you talking about, budget or full price. If full price is it really Triple A quality or just an A or B title? Are you talking retail or on-line? What formats, what territories? - All of these things will make a huge difference to the costs.

On the % front the developer will get the % the product deserves and they are able to negotiate. The deal might be a one off up front payment only or anywhere between 10-35% depending on quality, track record, negotiating skills etc. - As an example I am negotiating a contract at the moment where the publisher funds everything and the dev gets 25% - but the dev has a good track record, the game is great and the publisher really wants it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!