Server for a MUD

Started by
2 comments, last by Vopisk 18 years, 7 months ago
I have a newb question...Is it possible to have a MUD hosted on another site that does hosting instead of having a server on my own PC. At the moment, I can't afford a new comp with Windows Server OS and the price of having a constant connection to the internet...plus, high-speed internet isn't offered in my area so I was wondering if it was possible to have a server hosted on a box through the internet...
Vita sine Ieso est mors.Enter the Circle--http://www.thecirclemud.9k.com
Advertisement
Yes, you need a self-managed hosting solution, where you get "root" or "Administrator" access to your computer.

Depending on the capabilities of the server, and the amount of network traffic you expect to generate, prices start at $50/month for the rock bottom (from ill-reputed providers), have lots of offerings at $99/months, and can go as high as $300/month (top-end equipment, large transfer amounts).

Places to look at include 1-and-1, ServerMatrix and ServerBeach. There's lots and LOTS of providers out there, so make sure you do your homework!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
In all fairness you can get dedicated mud hosting for far cheaper than $50 a month, and not from bad providers either. I pay about $15/month for mine. Do a Google search for mud hosting.
Wolfpaw, perhaps THE Mud Hosting super-center... has prices starting around nine dollars per month. Prices do go up depending upon the system resources (CPU %/RAM) that your MUD will make use of as well as how many shell accounts and actual game servers you want to run, however, their prices are far more reasonable for someone obviously just starting out in the MUD world than paying $50/mn right off the back.

Vopisk

<edit> I should note, that since you mentioned needing Windows Server OS... you may have a harder time finding a dedicated server that runs Windows rather than *nix. However, if you're planning on learning from an existing codebase, most of them run on *nix anyway so you can save yourself the hassle in that respect. But, since you're on a game developing website I'll assume you're making your own game from scratch, since muds are relatively simple programs once you learn to wade through the chaff that they are generally filled with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement