Quake 3 Source Code...

Started by
43 comments, last by SippyCup 18 years, 6 months ago
I love playing Q3A, I play it all the time. When I saw that the Q3A source had been released, I was VERY VERY happy. But I'm reading the code now, and I'm not to sure what exactly the structure of this thing is... I know this is probably asking for something premature, but does anyone have a document/illustration on the Q3 structure?
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Advertisement
Yeah, I'm completely lost. I really don't have a clue where to start.
I was writing something on it, but as my computer is...under the weather at the moment, I don't know when it will be finished.

Did you guys have any specific questions? I may not have a full write up, but I can help you find specific things. What are you looking for?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I have experience with the quake 2 engine and this pretty much looks like it. Taking a look through the files should really give you a lot of information. Function names etc.. CGame and Game projects compile to 2 dll files. One client side one server side. Then there are the Splines and Render projects which compile to 2 .lib files that the exe uses. There is also an UI project which compiles to an UI dll that the exe uses.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)
I'm kinda researching different issues that most games address, so I was looking for the code that handles keyboard input in Q3. I'm totally new to this and trying to break into it. I have experience with C++, but no game programming experience. I figured Q3 might give me some good examples of how to do things.
Quote:Original post by SippyCup
I'm kinda researching different issues that most games address, so I was looking for the code that handles keyboard input in Q3.

Check out code/win32/win_input.c.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I'm lucky there are people more knowledgeable than I. :D
Im particulary interested in the BSP structure system Q3 uses and its culling system.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Ah, well that's been well documented for many years. See if this post helps answer any questions.
Ok, so I've finished writing the first part of my discussion of Q3 architecture. I'm still not sure exactly where I'm going with this, so I'd really really appreciate comments on the blog both about this part, and what you want to see for the next (and IMO far more interesting) part of the series. Link to Part 1.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement