• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
willthiswork89

creating header files

This topic is 4831 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ive googled this 100 times and cannot find anywhere with a good tutorial on it, it was in my book but it was very bad discription, i want to just be able to include a simple class in a header class Critter { public: Critter(int hunger = 9): mhunger(hunger); void sayhi(); private: int mhunger; } i want that in a header file and be able to call it in main.cpp...in my book it says i need the header then i need another file to declare what sayhi equals then i can call it...can someone help me?

Advertisement
In the .cpp file you would have the body of the member function sayhi(). So you would #include the header file in the .cpp file. If your book includes a complete simple example, I would try rewriting in from memory. I found that when I'm not copying code, I learn it much better. I make a lot more mistakes, but fixing errors is a good (though slow) learning tool. Good luck.

critter.h the header file for your class

class Critter
{
public:
Critter(int hunger = 9): mhunger(hunger);
void sayhi();
private:
int mhunger;
}

critter.cpp the implementation file for your class

#include "critter.h"

void Critter::sayhi() //implementation for your sayhi() method
{
//do whatever you wanna do here eg:
cout << "Hi!" << endl;
}

main.cpp

#include "critter.h"

//globals
Critter myCritter; //create an instance of your class
int main()
{
myCritter.sayhi(); //call the sayhi method

return 0;
}

hope that helped... cheers

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!