• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
karan13

3D Game Studio

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was doing an online search for Game Engines because i wanted one so that i could start a project. Then i came across 3D Game Studio http://www.conitec.net/a4info.htm Now i guess i was hoping to ask veterans in the game programming field this question. Is this program really just for people who look at making games as a hobby. I downloaded the demo, but its got its own compiler (sort of) and language and tools. I want to be a game programmer where as in work in a company that markets games which as much as i know use their own game engines. I guess i just wanted peoples feedback to let me know if basically i should forget this and go back to looking for a different directx engine and learn to just program games in c++ or continue using this product. Thank you for all your help.

Advertisement
I don't know much about 3D Game Studio, but I've heard the Torque engine is good for indie game dev. You might want to take a look at it.

http://www.garagegames.com/mg/projects/tge/

Basically though, if you want to become a professional game programmer, you're going to have to do some programming (most likely in C++) no matter what.

I have 3DGS, and am currently attending school to learn C++. I would say that 3DGS can be a great learning tool, depending on how experienced you are. If you are not somewhat fluent in C++ or any programming languages, I would suggest 3DGS, because its scripting language, WDL, is much easier to learn, while still advanced enough to make complex applications.

However, if you are ready for some serious programming, I would go ahead and suggest Torque, Irrlicht, or Ogre. They are great for people who want to create a "real" program.

I would say it all depends on your level of experience, and how you want to go about learning.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!