• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
abayyari

Convert 2D floorplan to 3D model

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i'm trying to convert a 2D floorplan into a 3D model and wasn't sure what the best way of doing this. I'm more looking into something similar to this: www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~shor/graphics/flat.pdf Basically reconstructing a 3D floorplan from a 2D blueprint while using minimal human intervention. It might be a bit complex to build such an application, however, i'm just looking for ideas on how to do it before i delve into writing the code. Please let me know if you have any suggestions, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Ahmed

Advertisement
There isn't much on this because from a designer standpoint it is not practical. It is just as easy to lay in simple rooms in your 3D editor. I say this because simply 'extruding' a 2D floor plan with give it a uniform Height. And you still have to cut out doors and windows, etc. And if you know how to really do that and make use of this extruded floorplan, well, again you have no need for this.

Now you could play with a util BMP2MAP (it included the source code). It was a Bitmap to Quake1 map converter.

I haven't read the whole PDF so forgive me if i'm repeating anything.

I created a similar project once which had a specific format for the 2D file which had knowledge of where doors and windows are etc. My project was using a fixed range of window and door sizes so the height was known in relation to the width. It was then a simple case of extrusion, with the user entering the height of the rooms. Every room was the same height but I think this is probably the general case anyway.

This would at least give you a 3D model with minimal user intervention. From there its just a case of small changes to get the desired model.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!