the big real tools

Started by
3 comments, last by TheNobleOne 18 years, 7 months ago
what are the big real tools that the big guys in the big companies uses to make games like quake 3 or max payne ? ok so i want the name of every tool n' how available is it for indipendant developer? and if i want 2 change or modify somthin in a game like the agility of a hero in the warcraft III for example or damage of the hero how can i do it [Edited by - tiba on August 24, 2005 4:52:35 AM]
Advertisement
The most significant tools used in such games are probably all the media programs to create graphics/sound etc.
So I guess "3D Studio MAX" or Maya for 3d-graphics, Photoshop for most of the rest. For Audio & Movies, programs of the similiar class..
Programmers probably want a nice tool to program with (MSVC ?). And maybe the more people & subteams there is in a project, the big-asser of a Version-Control software they are using? I don't know if the cheap and/or open-source tools provide everything they need.
I'd imagine a number of them would use Visual Studio.NET as a programming IDE, along with probably the Team Server - both available from Microsoft, neither very cheap. I believe VS.NET can get an Academic licence however that greatly reduces the price.
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by tiba
ok so i want the name of every tool n' how available is it for indipendant developer?

- Audio Software
- Graphics Software

The big name studios will usually be using the more expensive commercial software, which often provides additional/better features, better documentation and support, etc. A lot of the budget and/or freeware offerings are very powerful and perfectly acceptable for use by independant developers however.

Quote:
and if i want 2 change or modify somthin in a game like the agility of a hero in the warcraft III for example or damage of the hero how can i do it

This depends on the specific game in question, and I'm not sure about WC3 specifically, so I'll just provide a general answer:

It depends on the game in question - some of them will provide tools allowing you to edit them, sometimes only in small ways, and sometimes allowing almost total customisation (the Campaign Editor with Starcraft is a good example). Other games have the data for units, etc. stored in human readable datafiles that you can edit in order to modify the game (CnC: Tiberian Sun is a good example).

Other games may be harder to edit, and would require you to figure out unusual (and possibly encrypted) file formats and program your own editing solution, or to find and download 3rd party tools.

- Jason Astle-Adams

As for WC3 I beleive it uses the same archiving system that Diablo 2 Used the mpq file. If this is the case all the humman readable and editable files are in there. However, to learn more about WC3 "Modding" do a google search.

Ok I save you the trouble... Clicky
My JournalComputer science education cannot make anybody an expert programmer any more than studying brushes and pigment can make somebody an expert painter. (Eric Raymond)"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes itharder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."-- Bjarne Stroustrup

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement