• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cybernator

Abort/Retry/Ignore

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was doing a DOS application, and whenever it tries to create a file on a write-protected diskette or CD-ROM, I get that "Abort/Retry/Ignore" message. Is there any way to tell DOS not to display that message? Coz it messes up the screen. I want to display that message on my own, instead. I might replace the ISR that displays messages, but then I'll also need to do the same with the one that reads keyboard input. Clearly, this is not an effective way. Any hints?

Advertisement
I don't pretend to have any experience with DOS... But...

Aren't those messages coming from file I/O interrupts? If so, the only way to get rid of them would be along the lines of:

A) find an OS specific command to bypass them. There might be something you can use.
B) Find an OS specific I/O command that can notify you instead of printing that.
C) Find a way to prevent the message from appearing.
D) Use some lower level I/O mechanism, which could imply having to write your own file I/O routine for the file systems you want to access...

What are you using to create the file? Which programming language are you using? Which compiler/assembler/interpeter?

Please provide more details.

I use the Open Watcom C-compiler. I tried the normal way using fopen (stdio.h). Then I thought that I might bypass the message if I use the int 21h - Create File function (ah=3Ch), but the result was the same. As for checking if the drive is writable, as far as I'm aware there's no such function in DOS. (I might as well be wrong)

Anyways, writing low-level I/O stuff is totally unacceptable. How am I supposed to know if it will work with every version of DOS? (Actually I can't be sure even if I use DOS functions, but still...) And even if I somehow prevent the message from appearing, I would still need to press A, R or T. I'm going for slightly different options, and I do need complete control over this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!