• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
THACO

64 bit comp

This topic is 4858 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just got a new machine, AMD X2 4400. Its 64 bit, I had Visual Studio 2003 from my school. I will not be going back for almost 2 weeks so I can't try to install it. If I need to get a newer version or 64bit edition, also if I want to continue my projects can I do it on this new machine or should I do it on the old machine since that is 32bit? -THACO

Advertisement
Athlon64s will run 32 bit programs and any 32 bit code fine. In fact, most people (including myself) still use 32 bit operating systems on them. Also, even using Windows XP 64 bit, you can still run 32 bit programs fine. So no, its no problem, you don't have to get a 64 bit IDE. You won't be losing any performance either (at least not under a 32 bit OS, but if there is any speed loss in 64 bit, it shouldn't be very significant).

I develop on Windows 2000 XP Pro using VS 2003 .NET myself (Athlon64 3500+ processor). Never had any problems.

Guest Anonymous Poster
side note: microsoft doesn't even plan to migrate visual studio to 64 bit.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
side note: microsoft doesn't even plan to migrate visual studio to 64 bit.

Uh, what? IIRC VS8 can already compile for AMD64. And considering that there is a 64 bit edition of Windows XP, they obviously have Visual Studio internally compiling for 64 bit.

Guest Anonymous Poster
nah don't get me wrong. of course the compiler is fine with all kinds of 64 bit architectures. the ide itself won't be 64 bit, though.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
the ide itself won't be 64 bit, though.

Ah. Well, I do know they did an internal port of just the compiler to 64 bit, and found that it didn't help or hurt performance at all.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!