Virtual Reality Programming

Started by
2 comments, last by dimebolt 18 years, 8 months ago
I am interviewing for a job position in which I will be responsible for creating from scratch a system to render to VR goggles and handle input from gloves. What can I expect in terms of the equipment and software? Would the device use an existing API such as OpenGL or would it be something proprietary? I have experience in game engine design on the Windows platform and I am curious as to how much of that knowledge will spill over.
Advertisement
There will be an API for driving the goggles, and there will be an API for reading the gloves.

It may be as easy as the goggles being OpenGL (or possibly D3D), and the gloves being DirectInput -- assuming it runs on PC, or Windows XP Embedded. It may be as annoying as having to call a bunch of ioctl()-style driver functions to make it "go," if the platform is some embedded something-or-other.

It really depends on the specifics. Hey, maybe they don't even have drivers, and you have to write those, too :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Not meaning to be funny, but if you're being interviewed to do something like this will they not expect the applicants to know something in this area? I wouldn't hire someone to develop an entirely new subsystem who had only 'general' windows/graphics programming knowledge - I'd find someone who did or get someone already known in the company as an excellent programmer to look at it.
I'm just wondering. What's the intended application for this VR system?

Tom

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement