• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
blure

Java 3D game engine

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am trying to create a masive online RPG and am just getting started. What is a really good java 3d game engine that is afordable to a begginer?

Advertisement
Just so you know, blure, many of the rest of the users here are probably joining me in the ancient ritual of shaking one's head wearily, then resting it in the palms of one's hands and sighing.

But don't take it personally. The fact of the matter is, a million and one people come through here every year with a statement almost identical to yours (I'm just getting started, and I'm going to create a MMORPG), and a million of them forget it.

They have good reason to: a MMORPG is one of the most complex types of games on the market today. It involves multiple subsystems (graphics, networking, data management, gameplay, time coordination) working together on a grand scale to bring together hundreds to thousands of different players in different scenarios on wildly different machines. The games you buy on the shelf at Wal-Mart have taken large (in excess of 100 members) teams of professionals over a year to make -- and even then, they rarely work perfectly.

You don't hear about the other attempts -- those made by individuals such as yourself, or cooperative community attempts. They die painful deaths. Planeshift is the only one I know of that's still going, probably because they managed to form a corporation and have a few individuals with good leadership and business sense.

If you're a beginner, the place to start is not a MMORPG. You'll get frustrated and depressed and eventually throw in the towel, maybe even forget programming altogether (whether you should or not is definitely a different matter).

But what about the one out of those million, you ask? Well, he's the smart one who decides, "I still want to make a MMORPG, but I see that I'll need to gain some experience first." He goes on to make a text adventure game, then a Pong clone, then a simple 2d action game, then a simple 3d navigational demo, then a simple 3d game, then branches out into networking and data management and algorithms. He's attending CompSci courses at the local college, too. In the end, he comes back and says to us, "Remember how you guys said I would never make a MMORPG? Well here I am, the team of the Uber-Kool MMORPG, and our first demo is coming out in a week."

Oh, and I don't know of any good free 3d engines that are directly designed for Java, but some of the big ones out there might have Java bindings (Irrlicht does for sure, but I don't know about Ogre or CrystalSpace).

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

TDragon sums it up very nicely there, but if you still want to a decent Java engine then I couldn't recommend the jMonkey engine enough. It's fairly simple, quite powerful, performant, and has a decent set of tutorials... which can be the most important feature of them all for a beginner.

alright, it sounds like you're trying to create the next runescape *shudders* (why that game is popular is beyond me).

The MMO is, as pointed out, incredibly difficult. I'd say, with no programming experience, it will take you 2 years (minimum) to be profficient enough in Java and add-on libraries, THEN you have to learn network theory and programming, THEN you have to write the server, the client, create packet encrypter, economy, security measures, and find a server to host it on.

I refer you to:
http://www.flipcode.com/articles/article_simplegame.shtml

that is a "simple" game. Now imagine how long it will take you to make your dream MMO.

If you have the dedication, then I'd swing by the Java boards, find a good java book and get cracking.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!