• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kag1

[.net] Erasing Whitespace in C#

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I read on another thread like this, that the easiest way to remove whitespace in C#, would probably be
Regex.Replace(input, @"\s", "");
But I'm really confused with how Regex Works, Is there a way you could modify it so ..it only replaces the whitespace if there is more than one? Like if you had a string like this " \r\n A \r\n String \r\n\r\nLike\r\n\r\nThis" turn it into "A String Like This" I made something that does that in regular C (not very optimized) but have no ideas how to do it in C#, because the String functions arn't as nice as the STD ones in C..but anyway here is the code in C of how I did it..Let me know if you have any pointers on how to do it in C#..Thanks
string WHITESPACE = " \r\n\t";
int index = 0;
int wsf, wsb;

//trim the front and back first
wsf = Target.find_first_not_of(WHITESPACE);
if (wsf != string::npos)
{
   wsb = Target.find_last_not_of(WHITESPACE);
   if (wsb != string::npos)
   {
      Target = Target.sbustr(wsf, wsb - wsf +1);
   }
}

//Get space inbetween words

while (Target.find_first_of(WHITESPACE, index) != string::npos)
{
   index = Target.find_first_of(WHITESPACE, index);
   int b = Target.find_first_not_of(WHITESPACE, index);
   if((b -index) > 1 )
   {
      Target = Target.erase(index, (b-index -1));
      index++;
}
//Target now is a good string

Advertisement
Try this:

Regex.Replace(input, @"\s{2,}", "");

{2,} means "two times or more". Other Quantifiers are:

* zero or more times
+ one or more times
? zero or one time
{N} exactly N times
{N, M} from N to M times
{N, } N times or more

Those quantifiers try to match the longest possible string - they are said to be "greedy". To match the shortest possible match ("non-greedy"), add a ? to the quantifier, e.g.
{4,}?

Regards,
Andre

Quote:
Original post by Dean Harding
I think you'd want:

Regex.Replace(input, @"\s+", " ");

That would delete single whitespaces as well. The only difference to \s is here that less actual replacements take place. \s will replace every single whitespace, \s+ will replace all consecutive whitespaces at once. In this scenario - replacing with an empty string - the result is the same.

Regards,
Andre

Quote:
Original post by VizOne
In this scenario - replacing with an empty string - the result is the same.

Notice, though that I replaced with a single space. I'm pretty sure that's what he wants. With your one you'd replace "abc def" with "abcdef" (since it replaces all whitespace 2 or more long with an empty string), also it would leave "abc\tdef" alone.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!