• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Marz

How do I Delete protected files

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a spyware file that I cannot delete as it is protected. I searched on Google and it said to reboot my computer in safe mode. I cannot do this. It said press F8 when the OS begins to load and a mebu will come up. I did this and a menu did come up but it does NOT give me any option to boot in safe mode. It says select a drive to boot from and it lists the different drives on my computer. Can anyone explain how I can boot in safe mode and other tips on deleteing protected files. It makes you so angry when you cannot delete a file. please write directions in Laymen's terms. I am using Windows XP PRO Asus Motherboard Pent Iv Hyperthread Thank you I appreciate all help

Advertisement
If f8 isn't working for you, you can do it the old skool way.

Run -> msconfig

under the Boot.ini tab there should be a box in the lower left that is labeled Boot Options, check the /SAFEBOOT box, press "OK" and restart.

This will automatically kick you in safemode.

To reset your into regular mode computer, do the exact same thing as above. [smile]

EDIT: SAFEMODE was changed to SAFEBOOT

[Edited by - Binomine on August 24, 2005 8:29:02 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Marz
I cannot do this. It said press F8 when the OS begins to load and a mebu will come up. I did this and a menu did come up but it does NOT give me any option to boot in safe mode. It says select a drive to boot from and it lists the different drives on my computer.

That's because you pressed F8 too early. Wait a bit longer to let the BIOS actually pick a device to boot from, and then press F8 to tell Windows (which is now booting) to go into safe mode.

If you have anti-virus software, you can probably use that to delete it. Also try quarantining it first.

or open the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and close down explorer.exe
Then you can usually delete the files through the command prompt (cmd.exe)
Just start explorer again afterwards

Saves you the rebooting :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!