• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AlexLoren

Class Compile Errors

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am fairly new to the C++ programming scene, so please do try and bear with me through this. I am attempting to write application and scene management classes for a small top-down space shooter, though when I compile the classes I am getting errors. While I am using the Irrlicht Device as a rendering engine, this is not an Irrlicht specific problem; or I do not believe so. If anyone can offer some sort of insight on this compile error, I would be extreamly greatful :)
Quote:
alexl@linux:~/development/projects/irrlicht2d/src> make g++ main.cc -o irrlicht2d -I"../include" -I"/usr/X11R6/include" -L"/usr/X11R6/lib" -L"../lib/Linux" -lIrrlicht -lGL -lGLU -lXxf86vm -lXext -lX11 In file included from main.cc:15: system.h:23: error: ISO C++ forbids initialization of member `Game2D_Device' system.h:23: error: making `Game2D_Device' static system.h:23: error: invalid in-class initialization of static data member of non-integral type `irr::IrrlichtDevice*' system.h: In member function `int cGame2D::Create(irr::video::E_DRIVER_TYPE, int, int, int, bool)': system.h:45: error: `Game2D_Device' undeclared (first use this function) system.h:45: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.) system.h:46: error: `Game2D_Deivce' undeclared (first use this function) system.h: At global scope: system.h:52: error: declaration of `void cGame2D::Destroy()' outside of class is not definition system.h:53: error: syntax error before `{' token In file included from main.cc:15: system.h:57:7: warning: no newline at end of file make: *** [all] Error 1
Quote:
//system.h class cGame2D { protected: irr::IrrlichtDevice* Game2D_Device = 0; public: cGame2D(); ~cGame2D(); int Create(video::E_DRIVER_TYPE driver,int width,int height,int depth,bool screenMode); int setScene(const char* scene); void Destroy(); }; //--- int cGame2D::Create(video::E_DRIVER_TYPE driver,int width,int height,int depth,bool screenMode) { Game2D_Device = createDevice(driver,dimension2d<s32>(width,height),depth,screenMode,false,false,0); if (Game2D_Deivce == 0) { return false; } } void cGame2D::Destroy(); { Game2D_Device->drop(); }

Advertisement
This line isn't valid:

irr::IrrlichtDevice* Game2D_Device = 0;

Since it's a member variable, you have to initialize it in the constructor.

Variables are initialized in the constructor, not the class definition. Like this:

class Foo
{
public:
Foo();
private:
int a;
float b;
};

Foo::Foo() : a(3), b(2.5)
{
}

Thank you both for the input on how to fix this error, The way I went abouts solving this problem was to change the class to the below code. Such a simple fix I can't believe I didn't catch it the first time I looked at it, just goes to show that I still have a long way left to go in my learning.

Quote:

NEW:
class cGame2D
{
private:
irr::IrrlichtDevice* Game2D_Device;
public:
cGame2D();
~cGame2D();
int Create(video::E_DRIVER_TYPE driver,int width,int height,int depth,bool screenMode);
int setScene(const char* scene);
void Destroy();
};

OLD:
class cGame2D
{
protected:
irr::IrrlichtDevice* Game2D_Device = 0;
public:
cGame2D();
~cGame2D();
int Create(video::E_DRIVER_TYPE driver,int width,int height,int depth,bool screenMode);
int setScene(const char* scene);
void Destroy();
};

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!