• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Le Duc Nhan

Debug and Release mode

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't know exactly the diffirent between Debug mode and Release mode. I built a test directX in Debug mode, and sent application file ( in Debug folder ) for my friend ( he has directX 9.0c runtime only ), but it show not find d3dx9d_26.dll ( I can run at every location ). How to solve it ? Who can help me? Please please please... Thanks

Advertisement
you obviously link to the debug-version of d3dx in debug-build, which is only availible when the dxsdk is installed. as the name imply, "release" mode is the mode you should use for distribution, and "debug" should be used for debugging-purposes. if you really need to send him the debug-exe (you shouldn't really, but whatever) you would have to do one of the following:
- change your linker-options for debug mode so that it links to d3dx9.lib instead of d3dx9_d.lib
- install the dxsdk on your friends computer.
- supply your friend with the d3dx9d_26.dll, proabebly located in the system32-folder of your windows-installation. note that this proabebly violates the EULA of the dxsdk.

if you ask me, the first solution would be the second best, after supplying him a working release-exe.

The difference between a debug and release version is that the debug version contains debug symbols(So you can trace into code, examine variables, etc.), and it does initialize all your variables to 0 by default.

The debug version also links to debug versions of several DLLs, such as DirectX in this case. You need a special set of DLLs to be able to run these, and of course, these only come with the SDK.

Set your project to release, do a full rebuild and send it him again. It'll probably work.

Toolmaker

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
... the debug version ... initialize all your variables to 0 by default.

This is not true (at least as a difference between debug and release versions).

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
... the debug version ... initialize all your variables to 0 by default.

This is not true (at least as a difference between debug and release versions).

Indeed, debug mode actually initializes them to very specific values that it uses for diagnostics asserts littered throughout both your code and the standard libraries. Never assume that it initializes anything.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!