• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tape_Worm

Weird clipping with viewport.

This topic is 4827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, In my app on my home machine with a Radeon 9800 Pro in it, there's no issue. However, on my machine here at work, with a rather craptastic SiS chipset I'm getting a strange issue. My viewport seems to 'clip', that is it only shows a little more than 1/4 of the scene. This doesn't happen right away, only after I move the window. The scene is not 'squashed' as you would expect from a viewport resize down to 1/4 of the screen, just clipped. I've tested the view port settings (wrote them once per frame to my log file, no change). I've tried intercepting the paint event for the control it's using as the render window, nothing. The only thing that I have done that actually works is reset the viewport every frame, this clears up the issue just fine. I've used the reference device with D3D and there doesn't seem to be any problem there, so it's possible it could be a driver thing. So now my questions are as follows: Does this sound like an issue with the driver? How horrible is it to set the viewport for each frame?

Advertisement
In the interest of making info available for all to use, I posted the same question to the DirectX mailing list and got the following answers:

1. This is most likely a driver bug.
2. "Tom Forsyth to DIRECTXDEV
Calling SetViewport is extremely cheap. Calling it once a frame should be
trivial.

TomF."

The second part should be of interest to at least one or two people who are psychotic about optimization.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!