Managed DirectX Networking

Started by
5 comments, last by Bob Dole 18 years, 7 months ago
I just want to network in managed code. I know how to use DirectPlay in C++, but according to the the "managed documentation", I see this: Warning: Microsoft DirectPlay has been deprecated. I know I can still use this, but it DirectPlay is unofficial now, what do I use for managed code?
Advertisement
I meant what IF DirectPlay is unofficial.
Just don't use it, it isn't much harder to get things going by just using simple tcp sockets (or udp if you need them).

If you really want some good network library and don't have the time to write one yourself, use a good one and not DirectPlay!
Microsoft DirectX MVP. My Blog: abi.exdream.com
Yes, that's the standard reply. I agree that the networking stuff can be done using sockets, but what about the voice stuff? My guess is that they'll probably enforce the use of Indigo once Windows Vista (Longhorn sounded better :p) is released... maybe they'll include some kind of standard voice over IP thingy with that, but until then... what to do??
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
check out TcpClient in the System.Net.Sockets namespace
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
I've only tinkered a little bit with it, but you should check out Indy (http://www.indyproject.org/) if you want something simpler to work with.
Thanks. I got a basic TCP socket going. .NET does all the threading for you making it 5 times easier to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement