A newbie game.

Started by
7 comments, last by Calin 18 years, 8 months ago
Not long ago I began to learn C++ and OpenGL. I have started a RTS engine and I would like to know your opinion on what I have made so far. [Edited by - Calin on August 26, 2005 9:19:47 AM]

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Advertisement
I don't have a rar extractor on this machine, but on the screenie it shows only 17fps! What's bogging it down so much (if that is the real fps)?
The frame rate on my machine was around 70-80 fps, and my PC is a few years old :)

For just learning C++ and OpenGL, I think you did a really good job.
First off this is much better than i could do in a month from starting at nothing so bravo. Second when you select more than 1 unit and more them to a spot you can never select that unit again as a single unit. It always moves as a group from them on. I would not have the selection select everything in that location instead have it look for the first unit it finds in that loc and only select that one so that you can move one off the other.

As far as the frame rate i was getting 250-325 while i ran it.

-Lordoftools
-Lordoftools"Knowledge is not only a gift it's a responcibility."
Quote:Original post by kmccusker
The frame rate on my machine was around 70-80 fps, and my PC is a few years old :)

That sounds like vsync, given what lordoftools posted.
Mushu: The screenshot was taken on a 650 Mhz machine with a Matrox G200 Graphics Card. This should explain 17 FPS.

Lordoftools: I am going to be honest: I used the Win32 Api framework from NeHe tutorials as a starting point. I also made use of a lot of information from another two or three NeHe tutorials (things like OpenGL picking or Font printing, etc.). I still had to make all those things work together though.

Quote:
Second when you select more than 1 unit and more them to a spot you can never select that unit again as a single unit. It always moves as a group from them on. I would not have the selection select everything in that location instead have it look for the first unit it finds in that loc and only select that one so that you can move one off the other.

The game has no collision detection system so the units run into each other. You can`t split them appart because you can`t select them individually.
I hope to begin working on a collision detection system as soon as posible.

[Edited by - Calin on August 26, 2005 9:29:22 AM]

WOW congrats man this is a great start... better than I can do and I started last year woohoo!
400-500 fps here, great job
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein (1879-1955) That is so very true...
Really good job. I've been doing c++ for a while and I can't do anything like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"My one dream in life is to achieve my many goals"
Thanks for encouragement.

A couple of weeks ago I switched to DirectX. I would like to implement collision detection and some other features. This means I will continue to work on the engine.
I will post my new versions on the same webpage.

[Edited by - Calin on August 26, 2005 9:56:25 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement