• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TheDarkDude

Yes,$$$$ again

This topic is 4834 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We all love games,but then again we all love money too.My first post here,and it's a question. (applause) I'm interested in how does publisher-->developer relationship works in terms of money? I mean how much money do average developer teams get before the game is done and released? And do they get a % from every sold copy?

Advertisement
When I worked (at 2015)...
1) Publisher paid for all non-creatable assets (most notibly audio and voice acting)
2) Publisher paid for a game engine that was most suitable (based on our analysis of game genre and type)
3) Publisher gave money to the company up front (possibly over $1M, I don't know the details)
4) Every month (or every milestone), publisher would contribute several $100K to the studio (again not sure how much).
5) When the game is done, the studio does receives a small percentage per monthly, based on sales (based on what was negotiated by our ceo).
6) depending on each employee level, a portion of royalties is also given.

To add to the answer given already, this would, of course, only apply to established developers with a proven track record....a new developer would get ZIP upfront.

As to money, it all depends entirely on what publisher it is and how much they want your shiny new game.

Both the above posters give good answers. Where you stand between zip and millions of $ depends on your experience and skill.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!