Yes,$$$$ again

Started by
2 comments, last by Obscure 18 years, 7 months ago
We all love games,but then again we all love money too.My first post here,and it's a question. (applause) I'm interested in how does publisher-->developer relationship works in terms of money? I mean how much money do average developer teams get before the game is done and released? And do they get a % from every sold copy?
Advertisement
When I worked (at 2015)...
1) Publisher paid for all non-creatable assets (most notibly audio and voice acting)
2) Publisher paid for a game engine that was most suitable (based on our analysis of game genre and type)
3) Publisher gave money to the company up front (possibly over $1M, I don't know the details)
4) Every month (or every milestone), publisher would contribute several $100K to the studio (again not sure how much).
5) When the game is done, the studio does receives a small percentage per monthly, based on sales (based on what was negotiated by our ceo).
6) depending on each employee level, a portion of royalties is also given.
To add to the answer given already, this would, of course, only apply to established developers with a proven track record....a new developer would get ZIP upfront.

As to money, it all depends entirely on what publisher it is and how much they want your shiny new game.
Both the above posters give good answers. Where you stand between zip and millions of $ depends on your experience and skill.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement