• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
su7fukin

Could you recommend a good game engine or liblary?

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Nice to meet you. I am japanese's game developer. And, my hobby is game development. Now, I am looking for game engine or liblary, For example, graphics engines, sound liblary, base liblary, interfece liblary without windows api…. It is good to use game engine is free software or rate is low. But, I can't read English so much. I must put in plenty of time to find in a lot of information. Could you recommend me about game engine or liblary? I would be grateful if you recommend good game engine or nice liblary.

Advertisement
Hi and welcome to the site.

You might wish to check out something like Allegro or ClanLib to help you start out. Which languages are you interested in using? Allegro/Clanlib are coded in C (I believe), so they're usable in C/C++.

Thank you very much.

I have interested Allegro, Clanlib, sdl, HAAF's game engine...
and Open Scene Graph, Glut, OpenAL, C4 Engine
and Lua Script.

I wish to try those game development environment.

Roots, your project is good. I like RPG. Good luck!

If you're going to take the C# route (it's an excellent language by the way), I'd recommend checking out SDL.NET. It's an object oriented CLI library to allow development of SDL applications through C#. It effectively wraps SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer in an object oriented fashion.

If you're just starting out with programming however, I recommend staying away from graphics programming and just playing around with the console. Make a simple Tic Tac Toe game where you play against a friend. Once you have some experience with the language of your choice (C++, C#, etc), then move onto some graphic programming.

DevMaster.Net has a 3D engines database which should help you find an engine most suited to your personal needs.

There are several hundred engines available and each has different strengths and weaknesses, so it will depend on your own priorities which is most suitable for you.

The advanced search should help narrow it down.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!