Could you recommend a good game engine or liblary?

Started by
7 comments, last by su7fukin 18 years, 7 months ago
Nice to meet you. I am japanese's game developer. And, my hobby is game development. Now, I am looking for game engine or liblary, For example, graphics engines, sound liblary, base liblary, interfece liblary without windows api…. It is good to use game engine is free software or rate is low. But, I can't read English so much. I must put in plenty of time to find in a lot of information. Could you recommend me about game engine or liblary? I would be grateful if you recommend good game engine or nice liblary.
Advertisement
Hi and welcome to the site.

You might wish to check out something like Allegro or ClanLib to help you start out. Which languages are you interested in using? Allegro/Clanlib are coded in C (I believe), so they're usable in C/C++.
Another great and simple C++ library is SDL

They even have Japanese documentation!

Good luck!
Bah, this board dosen't render Japanese text properly! And I was going to impress you all with the fact that I can speak Japanese quite well. [sad] Anyway su7fukin, I highly recommend you take a look at SDL. It is open source, completely free of charge, simple, robust, powerful, and cross-platform. I've been using it as the core behind <a href="http://www.allacrost.org/>my game, which I have been developing for 14 months now, and not once has it been missing something I needed, or disastisfied me in anyway.

But what libraries you choose really depends on the type of game you're planning to make and your target architecture(s), platforms, and audience. What are the goals you hope to accomplish with your game? Once you can answer that question for us, we can help you choose engines/libraries much better.

Ue no wakaranai nara, ore wo messeji wo okurimasu ne?

[Edited by - Roots on August 25, 2005 3:48:15 PM]

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

As a 2D game engine you could also try
HAAF's game engine.

Thank you very much.

I have interested Allegro, Clanlib, sdl, HAAF's game engine...
and Open Scene Graph, Glut, OpenAL, C4 Engine
and Lua Script.

I wish to try those game development environment.

Roots, your project is good. I like RPG. Good luck!
If you're going to take the C# route (it's an excellent language by the way), I'd recommend checking out SDL.NET. It's an object oriented CLI library to allow development of SDL applications through C#. It effectively wraps SDL_image, SDL_gfx, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer in an object oriented fashion.

If you're just starting out with programming however, I recommend staying away from graphics programming and just playing around with the console. Make a simple Tic Tac Toe game where you play against a friend. Once you have some experience with the language of your choice (C++, C#, etc), then move onto some graphic programming.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
DevMaster.Net has a 3D engines database which should help you find an engine most suited to your personal needs.

There are several hundred engines available and each has different strengths and weaknesses, so it will depend on your own priorities which is most suitable for you.

The advanced search should help narrow it down.
Rob Loach, Wysardry, thanks.
Your advices is very helpful.
The advanced search is convenience!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement