• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sandra-24

Where's the documentation?

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The documentation that is downloaded with the SDK (9.0 August) seems to be the same as what's on MSDN, and both are barely of more use than the intellisense popups. Mostly they just give you the name of the method or class and the function declaration. Useless. Surely there must be some real documentation that actually describes what different things do and maybe if I'm lucky, a brief overview on how to use them. I feel kind of like I'm stumbling around in the dark tripping over things. How does anybody learn to use this DirectX stuff? Thanks, -Sandra

Advertisement
If you're talking about managed DirectX, then yes, the documentation is quite lacking. It's a work in progress. If you intend to do any MDX development, you'll have to revert to the C++ documentation to know how things work, then figure out (from the namespace hierarchy, object browser, or dissassembly) how things work in MDX.

Most of the time, you can figure out how to do what you want by looking at the namespaces and their members. When you can't figure out something, come here and people will try to help [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Coder
Most of the time, you can figure out how to do what you want by looking at the namespaces and their members. When you can't figure out something, come here and people will try to help [smile]

It is quite important to look at the C++ docs though. A lot of the C++ docs aren't even specific to C++, such as the entire Programming Guide section. It's almost like you have three docsets:

(1) Programming Guide
(2) C++ Reference
(3) Managed Reference

It just so happens that the Programming Guide is bundled with the C++ Reference.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!