Mentoring a friend

Started by
2 comments, last by benatkin 18 years, 7 months ago
I'm about to start working with a friend on a Dr. Mario-like game. This is his first complete game, but he's a pretty bright programmer. I've written a Tetris game so I am going to show him how to think about this type of game from a programming standpoint. We're doing this in Java w/ Swing, BTW. I'm teaching him about the MVC paradigm and the Java graphics classes. Beyond that, I don't know much to explain about it besides just showing him how it can be done. I want him to come up with lots of the ideas on his own, but I don't want it to just be me asking him questions and telling him whether he's right. At some point I need to break it into components and have him work on them independently. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out already, what could we add? Just assign components to him eventually. If you can get him in on the dividing of the project into components, great, if not, oh well. Right?
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Just let him come up with an idea. Make sure you know how his said idea can be programmed. Tell him to work on his idea. Check over his work and give him ideas on how to improve his code.
Yeah, maybe I do have it figured out. Thanks for the reassurance.

If anyone has any stories about mentoring people that would be great too. Even a link to a good site w/ good stories would be good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement