Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
orcfan32

Scripting Language

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I was wondering, is there any good tutorials on how to make an interpreter in C++ so that you can feed in a file and execute whats in the file? I want to make my own scripting language, but the only tutorials that I could find were for C. All I need is a link to one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Why do you want to make your own scripting language? Why not use one of the many high-quality embeddable languages that already exist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Why do you want to make your own scripting language? Why not use one of the many high-quality embeddable languages that already exist?


I like the feeling that I did something BIG!

And thanks for the link, SirSmokey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
I like the feeling that I did something BIG!

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on video games if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a scripting language just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Lua or AngelScript.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
I like the feeling that I did something BIG!

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on video games if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a scripting language just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Lua or AngelScript.

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on game content if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a video game just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Quake or Unreal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Nathan Baum
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
I like the feeling that I did something BIG!

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on video games if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a scripting language just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Lua or AngelScript.

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on game content if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a video game just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Quake or Unreal.

What? Who says that a video game doesn't include video game content?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by Nathan Baum
Quote:
Original post by Sneftel
Quote:
Original post by orcfan32
I like the feeling that I did something BIG!

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on video games if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a scripting language just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Lua or AngelScript.

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on game content if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a video game just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Quake or Unreal.

What? Who says that a video game doesn't include video game content?


He was saying 'each to his own'. i.e. From your perspective, there's no point to writing a scripting language because there are already some excellent ones around that you can use, but from somebody else's perspective there may be no point in writing your own games because you'll never make anything better than what could be made by modding an existing commerical game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!