Scripting Language

Started by
9 comments, last by blizzard999 18 years, 7 months ago
I was wondering, is there any good tutorials on how to make an interpreter in C++ so that you can feed in a file and execute whats in the file? I want to make my own scripting language, but the only tutorials that I could find were for C. All I need is a link to one.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
Why do you want to make your own scripting language? Why not use one of the many high-quality embeddable languages that already exist?
There's one right here at GameDev.
If you do want to write your own, our scripting languages and mods article section has a series entitled Creating a Scripting System in C++.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Why do you want to make your own scripting language? Why not use one of the many high-quality embeddable languages that already exist?

I like the feeling that I did something BIG!

And thanks for the link, SirSmokey!
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Quote:Original post by orcfan32

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on video games if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a scripting language just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Lua or AngelScript.
Personally, I think all the online tutorials for parsing, interpreting etc are very poor quality. I'd suggest the book Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

The reason I'm going to make my own scripting language someday is that no easly usable scripting API meets my needs.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on video games if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a scripting language just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Lua or AngelScript.

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on game content if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a video game just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Quake or Unreal.
Quote:Original post by Nathan Baum

If you like. Personally, I prefer working on game content if I want to make something BIG. If you want to make a video game just for the hell of it fine, but keep in mind that you will end up spending hundreds of hours and end up with something that is buggier and less efficient and elegant than either Quake or Unreal.

What? Who says that a video game doesn't include video game content?
Quote:Original post by Nathan Baum

What? Who says that a video game doesn't include video game content?

He was saying 'each to his own'. i.e. From your perspective, there's no point to writing a scripting language because there are already some excellent ones around that you can use, but from somebody else's perspective there may be no point in writing your own games because you'll never make anything better than what could be made by modding an existing commerical game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement