• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pinacolada

reliable method of inter-process communication?

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm writing a piece of software that is going to be embedded into people's games. I also have a graphical app that I want to monitor the status of the embedded library. So I want to be able to get information out of the embedded library while the game is running. Kind of like a debugger. So my question is, what's a good, reliable method of doing inter-process communication? It would be nice if it wasn't platform-specific. Right now I'm thinking of just opening a TCP connection. Any thoughts or sage advice?

Advertisement
Assuming you are writing the game too, tcp-ip is probably the only non-platform specific approach that you could use. If you're targeting a specific platform, different approaches become available.

Well, hopefully the library will also be used by 3rd party apps. Is it going to be a problem that other people's apps are going to need TCP support to use it? I mean, I could try to bundle it inside my code as much as possible.

So you're writing a library that you want other game developers to use with their projects? Write the library so that it includes whatever is needed to set up the connection with the external monitoring process - tcpip or some other.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!