Infinity and stuff

Started by
3 comments, last by JohnBolton 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, i got a problem and i can not find anything explaining a solution (strange i must admit, i am probably just searching for the wrong terms): I clamp a value between 0.0f and 1.0f: ft=(ft>1.0f)?1.0f:((ft<0.0f)?0.0f:ft); but still values like -1.#inf (or something like it, anyway, infinity and such), values that are not displayed as normal floating point numbers, pass the test. Is there a way to check for these special values? Thanks.
Advertisement
+/-Infinity will result from dividing a non-zero integer by zero, and nan's (Not A Number) can be generated a number of ways e.g. dividing zero by zero, or taking the sqrt of a negative value.
Things such as these are probably things you should be dealing with before the operation that produces a nan is performed. For example if you are averaging some values, make sure that the count is at least 1, before dividing by it. Not purely to avoid the divide by zero, but because you may wish to omit other code in that case, return a failure code, throw an exception, produce an error message, or whatever.

That said, nan's behave is an odd way when it comes to comparison operators and you could simply have your program look for that odd behaviour. e.g. a nan not being equal to itself. Or _fpclass may be what you're looking for.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
I am too lazy to look for the code causing the value, but ft!=ft appears to work fine so i'll stick with that, thanks a lot!
Quote:Original post by Tree Penguin
I am too lazy to look for the code causing the value, but ft!=ft appears to work fine so i'll stick with that, thanks a lot!

Yes, this is the appropriate test.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Alternatively, you could change the conditions to support inf and nan:
    ft = ( ft >= 0.0 ) ? ( ( ft <= 1.0 ) ? ft : 1.0 ) : 0.0; 
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement