[4E4] Need to know Judges hardware details...

Started by
15 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 7 months ago
Just thought about this, the judges are using GF3 and if Iam correct thats GeForce which = nVidia, is it just me or isnt weird, how the judges are using nVidia cards, and Radeon is sponsoring the contest... just a though
Advertisement
The equivalent low-end Radeon card is an 8500, I believe. (Personally, I find NVidia's numbering system easier to keep track of than ATIs).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

It's not a matter of the judges using nVidia cards, but a matter of that card being the lowest card you have to support in your contest entry.

The nVidia GeForce 3 was the first shader card and it has 1.1 pixel and vertex shaders (the lowest actually in hardware).

As superpig stated above, the equivolent ATI card is the Radeon 8500. It supports 1.4 pixel and 1.1 vertex shaders, and was the first ATI card to support hardware shaders.
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
The problem is, many of the minimum system requirements are almost laughably low. A GeForce 2? A 10GB hard drive? The bar is being set considerably lower than what most modern AAA titles require.
It's a game competition,not a graphics competition.

Go ask a game designer in the industry whether top-quality graphics are nigh-on essential for a top-quality game.
Quote:And when was it specified that you had to make an AAA title?

It wasn't. Hell, it wasn't even specified that the game has to be good at all. I kinda decided to go in that direction on my own.
But in the industry you wouldn't have top-quality graphics after five months - a skeleton of a game with shoddy models and so on. And that would be reusing an existing engine, 2-3 coders working full-time. Most of us are doing this outside work/school which means in real terms 2 months of work is going to take a lot of effort to fit in.

You're not competing against the industry, but the other competitors. And they can't use fancy shaders either so show your ability by stretching the hardware given to new heights!
This is kind of off topic, but I'm with Sneftel on this. Nothing in the rules said "Make a kick ass game" and nothing certainly said "go get a team of 20". Some of us just like to push the limits a little further. If you can push limits now, then how will you do it when you're doing this professionally?

Donald Trmp puts it nicely, "Go big or go home."
I think one of your "can" should have been "can't"?

Anyway you CAN push the limits, just because they are lower limits doesn't change anything. And back in the days when a GF2 was a top-spec card, developers didn't know the exact configuration of the target machines. They had to push the limits of graphical wonderfulness and also maintain compatibility and stability on a wide range of hardware. IMHO, that is part of making a game for PCs - not a demo or a little gamelet to show your friends - but a proper game that is publically available.

Although I'm not sure if we're debating the low specs, or knowing the exact setup anymore...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement