• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
shadowisadog

Thoughts on the popcap framework?

This topic is 4773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I have recently found and started toying with the Popcap framework from http://developer.popcap.com . I was wondering what people thought about this framework? It seems to be built on top of directx and I find it simpler to use then SDL (having to code every little thing when I don't need to reinvent the wheel). I am planning on developing a puzzle game so this seems like the obvious choice.. Is it worth using, or are there better options with the same relative ease?

Advertisement
I don't know much about it, but it seems very popular, so I expect that in itself is something.

Perhaps someone could implement much of the Popcap functionality in SDL as a new library? I don't know enough about what it offers to comment, really.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It is built for making puzzle and light arcade games on Windows. It is very stable, well documented (it is a joy to see well-commented code for a change) and fairly fast (for what it is). About the only chinks in their armor are that it is for WIndows only and doesn't have any networking built-in.

I have some beefs with it as well. All in all, it looks prety decent. There are some things I don't like about it though.

*I don't know about most engines, frameworks, or libraries, but I just don't feel comfortable overiding class members or filling in for callback functions. That's more of a personal prefrence than an actual issue with the library, but that's why I am using SDL instead.

*It's for casual 2D gaming. I'm a hardcore 2d gamer, whatever that means.

I guess it's good, but it's not for everybody.

Cool well so far I like it becuase:

A) It has a sound engine that isn't totally confusing (why is programming sound so hard?)

B) It's DrawImage methods automatically handle alpha channels (which is a good thing)

C) The whole concept of widgets is pretty intresting..

Plus it is designed for the type of game I am trying to create :P.

Some negative points about it though are:

A) So far the graphics API seems very lacking (No methods for drawing circles, curves, ect and I don't see a way to implement them without going and making a modification of the graphics class itself)

B) Some loss in control/power... I guess this happens when using any lib though. Some stuff is simply handled for you (such as managing widgets)... In a way this is a good thing but in a way you don't have direct control over everything...

C) A bit of overhead... the class is pretty large and makes 1 meg exes by DEFAULT (blank template compiles to 1 meg :S)

D) Lack of portability (Only runs on windows)

However I think for the momment im going to use the framework becuase it really simplifies things quite a bit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!