• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DvDmanDT

Avoid choppy mouse?

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can I avoid getting my mouse choppy (for an RTS)? Currently, we update the mouse position in the game loop, which is followed by a draw.. One way to improve it would be to have the mouse updating in a loop.. Is there any other way? The game runs at 23 FPS or so.. Also, can anyone explain IDirectInput8::ConfigureDevices()? I don't really understand the MSDN page for it.. :p Should/could I use the windows mouse functions?

Advertisement
Well, I know this article may go some way to solving the problem although I've never tried it so can't comment on the quality or ease of implementation.

I'm guessing you are currently using a quad rendered at the current mouse position with the standard windows cursor hidden. You could simply use the stanard windows cursor (as it's not limited to framerate) and replace it with your own, although that may restrict you to a grayscale palette but it shouldn't be too hard to do. I know I'd certainly prefer a non-laggy, yet dull mouse to a pretty one that sways horribly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!