• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
muimui1911

Force feedback on game!

This topic is 4773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am building a 3D environment, but i need to apply force feedback system on my program to prevent walking through the wall and have some physical effect on objects. 1. Can anyone please help me? 2. Can anyone give me more idea about it and provide me some reference? Thank you so much.

Advertisement
Just for clarification, you are looking for "collision detection" and not "force feedback". Force feedback refers to the response given in input controllers with DirectX. YOu can read that MSDN link for more information if you want to take your project one step further down the line to add in that awesome effect.

There are a few libraries that you can take a look into. One that is a free 3D Collision Detection system is ColDet. Next is the Open Dynamics Engine. Finally there is Newton Dynamics. You will have to look though how each of those libraries is structured to see if any will integrate with your current code.

Now, you do not have to use a 3rd party library, you can write your own physics routines. While this may not be the easiest thing to do, there are lots of tutorials and articles across the net on this subject. For example, just look at the results of this google search for starters as well as this simple tutorial on flipcode.

If you are using specific formats for your project, then you can also use preexisting code as well. If you are using .3ds files, take a look at the collision stuff at Apron right here. The general principle of using "Bounding Boxes" can be applied to just about anything. So do some researching into that quick and easy method as well.

So there's a lot to look into for now, good luck! [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!