• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Martti007

Strategy game help

This topic is 4825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have this problem that i don't understand 3d strategy games mouse system. How do i get the tile where the mouse is on?

Advertisement
Some form of simple raytracing, perhaps some variation of the colition system used in lesson 30 would do it, but this will not be your largest problem.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You'd think somebody would write up some kind of universal link to this topic, I see like 5 of these a day on this forum.

3d pointing. A good writeup on all aspects of converting a 2d to 3d point or using matching methods to check the hit.

you'd think so.
but the fact is that there is no real magic mouse point/select solution.
For every situation, for every game you have to choose a method and then do some adaptation to it.

Some game require you to only select a tile on a flat grids, some need pixel perfect acuracy and some use something in between.

So it is best to define your game before you decide the details of how to conrol it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!