• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Call default constructor from parameterized constructor

This topic is 4680 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can I call my classes own default constructor from within a parameterized constructor of the same class? I tried doing it, but it seems to think I am creating a new object. I have code in my default constructor that I don't want to duplicate in the parameterized constructor. I could create a function and call it from both, but I thought it would be a better solution to just call the default constructor if possible. Seems this should be a common thing, can someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks Rael

Advertisement
You cannot call a constructor of the class you are implementing from a constructor. You can call specific base class constructors, however, so you can consider refactoring that in a base class.

The usual design pattern is to factor out the necessary code to a private helper function, and call it from both places.

However, you should first consider trying to do as much as possible via initializer lists. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!