• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maverick20

How to become a good programmer!!!

This topic is 4775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just started programming in OpenGL. I have quite a knowledge of C and C++ Object Oriented but i havent did something tangible. I am a advanced user of 3DS MAX. I can make all the objects related to games in MAX but when it comes to programming i really hesitate. I want to make a FPS Demo as a project but to make that i have to be a good programmer, kindly tell me about the tips and tricks of becomming an efficient programmer....Thanxx

Advertisement
Practice. Read books and articles. Practice more. Read more. And then practice more. There's no substitute for hard work.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Practice makes perfect.

Quote:
Original post by maverick20
I want to make a FPS Demo as a project but to make that i have to be a good programmer, kindly tell me about the tips and tricks of becomming an efficient programmer....Thanxx

I say find a 3D engine that can read the type of files you are going to produce. You don't want to have to write an engine. Learn how to make other librarys work together for your program. It might take a while to learn the interfaces, but it's better to spend your time learning how to make the structure work, than it is to debug how you think it should work.

Good luck, and have fun!

If you haven't done so already check out the NeHe OpenGL tutorials. Lesson 10 shows how to do a very basic FPS. You might also want to take a look at lib3ds for loading 3DS files.

As others have already pointed out, read and practice as much as you can.

Pick a game type which you haven't made before and try to make it. Example: if you haven't made a text adventure before, try to make one. You'll learn more from games which you think you will find difficult but not impossible for your skill range. Challenge is a good thing! [grin]

Read "The Pragmatic Programmer". It is an inspiration every time I re-read it. As the others pointed out: being a good programmer is based on experience and watching others at work. This book gives you the latter.

Cheers

Ciao Maverick,

one of the most valueable books on your track to become a good programmer is "Code Complete", written by McConnel/MSPress.

And, as already said: you have to write tons of code - and TONS of code means really TONS of code (without any exaggeration).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!