• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
cNoob

Please help me with my number game

This topic is 4681 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey people i know a little directx like seting a direct draw object setting the cooperation level and setting the display mode i know a little of direct input enougth for a game ie(Reading the keyboard and mouse)Dont know much about joysticks but planning on learning and know a little direct sound so all together i think i have enougth to make a game but could someone point me in the right direction for a tutorial for a game but please just a simple one like Halo2 or Quake or Unreal Tournament only kidden somin like breakout or pong. Thanx [Edited by - cNoob on August 27, 2005 5:29:51 PM]

Advertisement
Most people just try to find out how to make these simple games on their own by piecing together the code they already know with a little research. There aren't too many actual "make a ... game" tutorials out there and it'd be a little difficult to make one because everyone has their own way of going about making such a game. It also depends on what API you want to use, do you want to try it in SDL, DirectX, OpenGL, VB (even)? Do you want to make an engine for it or just hard code it with no emphasis on reusability? Do you want to use simple cartesian co-ords or vectors? How do you want to do your collision detection? etc. There are a lot of different ways of going about making even the simplest game. This is why most people just go out and do it their own way. There are very few "actual" standard ways of doing things when it comes to beginning game programming.

I'd suggest starting with making a text adventure if you're stuck. They'll teach you how to incorporate narrative and game structure into a program more than making a Quake style graphics demo.

Here's a good place to start looking though, if you insist on heading for the more complex type of game first:

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=272000

http://www.tntbasic.com/learn/game-in-60/pong.php

Also look up the books section of this site for some handy starting places.

Go with SDL since you can do so much with it and take what you have learnt to other API's. The best begginer stuff (for me). http://sol.gfxile.net/gp/index.html

ive already made a guess the number game and know how two do that using a console maybe i could make it again in win32 using TextOut() command a lot i know i will be able to finish it before heading back to school on 5th September just one thing if i was to do this is there a command in win32 api to clear the screen like

system("cls");

or would i have to do it my self with

Rectangle(hdc,0,0,WindowWidth,WindowHeight);

Thanx for the advice i will try and post some screen shots of my windows guess the number game very soon.

kk thanx ive just set up my window and im like 50% finished i might even have it finished by tonight

hey ive got my first screen shot of the game just not sure on how to upload to this site so everyone can see

Quote:
Original post by cNoob
hey ive got my first screen shot of the game just not sure on how to upload to this site so everyone can see

Use something like PhotoBucket, upload it there, and use an ordinary HTML < img src=> tag to embed it straight into your post, or you could provide a normal link for us to click to take us straight to it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!