• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PnP Bios

hxRender is dead

This topic is 4771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

According to various sources, SDL 1.3 is going to use OpenGL entirely for the 2D API, no longer messing around with the other junk. Well, where does this put me? Anybody closer to the project know what exactly is going to be replaced?

Advertisement
I don't think you have anything to worry about for quite some time. Although there is a lot of buzz going around I don't think this is something we can expect to see before the end of the year even which makes it too difficult to wait on. After reading your post I was trying to find some relevent info and all I could find (pardon the lack of a direct quote) is that SDL 1.3 is going to require almost a complete rewrite to make OpenGL it's core or something to that effect.

As for hxRender being dead, I think that that is just silly. We don't know how SDL is going to handle anything yet (especially surfaces/textures) and the rewrite for 1.3 will probably cause a bunch of the old SDL companion libraries such as SDL_gfx, SDL_image, and even SDL_ttf to be outdated or unuseable with the new version.

Personally, I think what you have done with hxRender is awesome. I don't use it directly (although I have used previous versions) but going through the source has helped me get on track with basic 2d in OpenGL for my own learning experience.

Frankly, IMHO, if there were companion libraries to hxRender that offered simple font capabilities and primitives (circle, filled circle, etc.) that hid the underlying OpenGL code I think more people would be inclined to use it now instead of waiting for SDL 1.3 and rewrites of the old libraries they rely on.

I could probably go on here for quite some time but I do actually need to go outside and see the sun today, it has been a while [grin].

Not that I don't believe you, but can you give us links to these various sources? I hang out in #sdl on freenode all the time and I never heard anything like this. Plus I thought the next released version of SDL was going to be 2.0?

But I would think that SDL (whatever version) would still support the old 2D API, otherwise old software would completely break! And what if a person doesn't have hardware acceleartion drivers installed for their video card? Software rendering should still be a viable alternative for designers, even if the 'default' of SDL video switches over to use OpenGL. Those are my thoughts at least. [smile]

Windows has come with a software implementation of OpenGL since Windows 95. For the Posix compliant OSs there's MesaGL for software rendering. OpenGL is probably as portable as SDL and hardware accelerated if at all possible. It is a good library for any graphics use. It's just got clumsy syntax. All we need SDL for is input, sound, and graphics code wrappers to make up for OpenGL's ugly syntax.

I'm a SDL mailinglist frequent visitor, and all I can tell you, is that you shouldn't expect SDL 1.3 very soon. There will be many changes to the interface of the lib, and it'll take long before they will be discussed and finally accepted.

Quote:
Stephane Marchesin wrote:
The latest glSDL version is there (pre patched tarball with other patches) :
http://icps.u-strasbg.fr/~marchesin/sdl/SDL12-experimental.tgz
It usually tracks the SDL cvs with a variable delay.

That said, I didn't see problem reports about it recently, so there is
little incentive to do new glSDL versions. I actually hope that the code
is getting stable enough to the point that it can be merged into SDL.

> Or has the latest SDL CVS version glSDL integrated ?
Not yet. Sam ? :)

Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
Well, where does this put me?

You could merge with them. Everybody wins.

Edit - nevermind, I thought your library was an add-on to SDL.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:
Well, where does this put me?

You could merge with them. Everybody wins.

Edit - nevermind, I thought your library was an add-on to SDL.

well, i wouldn't mind donating the code.

Quote:
well, i wouldn't mind donating the code.

I can't take the decision for you, nor for them. Talk to the SDL developers.

Note about SDL switching to OpenGL - I think this is not possible, or at least very unlikely. Not because of technical problems, but moreso because of the philosophy. SDL currently supports video drivers, etc. for most, if not all platforms. Making a complete switch to OpenGL limits the number of platforms to about 3 or 4 (Windows, Linux, Mac, and some smaller ones like FreeBSD - other platforms like Solaris may be just left in the dust). Now admittedly very few people (no offense intended) use platforms that don't support OpenGL, but if the SDL people wish to continue their excellent platform support, they will probably still provide 2D functionality (even at least for legacy purposes).

BTW, the different platforms, I think handle OpenGL a lot more differently than they handle the SDL video. Using OpenGL completely may break some of the 'write once, compile anywhere' mantra - you will need to write speciailized code probably for WGL, GLX, etc. ...

Just my .02. Cheers!

Yesterday I attempted making a hxRenderDotNet, roughly porting the C++ source directly to C# using Tao.OpenGl and Tao.Sdl . I got the Context translated and it worked very nicely for creating the window, but I then gave up when I reached the surfaceChunks. Would've been a neat thing to get working.

[Edited by - Rob Loach on August 27, 2005 12:13:19 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!