• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
allenm

Making a 3D Game

This topic is 4833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, due to the help of this site, I have finished completing a 2D game. I let my friends test it, and they all agreed I should convert it to 3D. I understand 3D is much more complex, however I am ready to take that step. I am only partially familiar with DirectSound, and I know that Direct3D can make 3D graphics. I can program in C# and C++ and I simply request a program to make 3D graphics/characters/maps/objects and then draw/animate them inside of a 3D game. Any help at all making a 3D game using the new DirectX SDK would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Advertisement
you should use maya or milkshape 3d or truespace there just a few 3d moddelers i can think of or you could google "3d modellers"

how long did it take you to complete your 2d game using directx sdk i have it i know a little direct draw,sound and input what do you recomend on learning before i start a simple 2d game

Guest Anonymous Poster
blender is good and free and can export to x format.

CNoob -
I started working on my 2D game the beginning of this summer. I started with Java just because I heard it would be less files, but I didn't like it, so I went with my old buddy C++. Once I got to adding sound and video to my game, I found C++ would be harder to work with, so I switched to C#.

I was going to use DirectSound but I found it slowed my game down significantly, so I used DirectX.AudioVideoPlayBack in my game, which sped it up immensely. I didnt need any effects such as echoing.

I used a tile-based map system and made most of the graphics on my own, and then simply used .NET to draw them. I recommend learning C# (if you dont already know it) and then going from there.

Whom it May Apply -
Are there any other tutorials out there for starting a game in 3D? Any books I should buy? Any help or resources would be greatly appreciated.

this is the most usefull book ive found on directx, it may help you

Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!