• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xxx_shinobi

What do I need to know for this job ?

This topic is 4770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having an interview in a week. This factory is doing a high precision parts for companies like mercedes and bmw. The job is done by robotic machines wich are controlled by microsoft-windows platform computers. The job is to code real-time applications for those robots. What should I master for this kind of a job ??? When I'm thinking about real-time-windows, I can think only about win32, strong multithreading and IPC knowledge and some x86 assembly. Please advice me, I want to be 100% ready for this interview .

Advertisement
I would have thought that, since you're dealing with robotics, you should be pretty familiar with state diagrams, state transition tables, finite state machines and the associated control code/techniques that go with them. In fact, they could give you some sort of test with a sample problem of this type on it. However, I would suspect that the robotic product manufacturer has developed its own control code/scripting language. This could involve uml.

--random

Edit: If I were in your shoes, I would do my very best to find out what company provides their robotic systems and then try to locate them on the web. You could probably gain some familiarity with their software this way.

Oh, and Good Luck! I hope that you are successful!

Keep in mind, the robots are probably piloted through some sort of proprietary language or scripting interface. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something similar to basic.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
You expect to master something in a week?

hahah that's why I was thinking. But honestly, we've all crammed for tests before. You can sure learn a lot in a week. :)

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
You expect to master something in a week?

I'm completing my software engineering degree now. So I know few things already :)

my cousin studies mechatronic and we had a discussion about windows and realtime-capabilities and he told me that windows is not capabale of it

do they program for windows or the controller software for the robots?

if the second is the case i would recommend strong assembler skills

Quote:
Original post by Basiror
my cousin studies mechatronic and we had a discussion about windows and realtime-capabilities and he told me that windows is not capabale of it

do they program for windows or the controller software for the robots?

if the second is the case i would recommend strong assembler skills

I dont know. All I know is that they deal mostly with windows-platform.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!